Over the past 6 weeks, my partner and I decided to give The Ketogenic Diet a try. Usually, when one of us decides to try a new diet the other follows suit, only because it makes it a lot easier when we go grocery shopping.
Originally, I was pretty sceptical about the keto diet and if you’re unfamiliar with the diet you basically eat:
- High fat
- Moderate protein
- Low carbs. Fibrous carbs, also known as the carbs you get from vegetables.
Here’s the run-down: your body runs off glucose, which comes from carbs. When you ‘starve’ your body of glucose/carbs your body starts running off fat, which is dietary fat and body fat, which is then converted to ketone bodies.
Now, there are positives and negatives with this diet, just like any diet …
- ‘The Keto Flu’ – When you first start off your body will be confused and will be adjusting to the new diet. So, you will experience flu-like symptoms. It’s different for everyone.
- High fat – It will make you very regular and often explosive (if you know what I mean). Don’t worry, that’s easily fixed. A balanced diet consisting of fats and lots of green veggies will sort that out.
- Bulk waffles bacon, eggs, cream, cheese, chicken wings and anything fatty you can think of.
- Cheaper grocery shopping because you avoid all the middle aisles.
If you’re a serial chocolate and fruit eater, then this diet will challenge your cravings. However, the good news is once you enter ‘ketosis‘ it becomes easier and your body doesn’t crave the delicious stuff.
Mind you, when I say delicious, I mean chocolate, Nutella, fruit and whatever else you enjoy eating. I’ve replaced all the things I was addicted to (Nutella included) with high fat and low carb foods. Hello, bulk waffles!
Check out this recipe from WickedStuffed – It’s a pancake recipe, however, I’ve made waffles and doughnuts out of it as well. For some reason, it tastes different when it looks different … you know what I mean?
If you really are missing fruit, opt for strawberries or something else low in carbs. Strawberries are a yummy addition to waffles.
This is what I’ve been eating recently:
- Coffee: I drink iced long blacks, (Yes, I’m one of those people).
- 1 shot of coffee
- Or, you can opt for Keto Coffee – you can make this any way you want but this what how we usually have it:
- Coconut oil
- Heavy cream
- Cocoa powder
- Waffles (Pancake recipe):
- Cream cheese
- Coconut Flour
- Sugar-free maple syrup
- Thickened Cream
- Protein powder
- Feta and cashew salad
- Mixed salad
- Sundried tomatoes
- Beetroot or pumpkin – both are delicious
- Olive oil and lemon for the dressing
- Chicken Wings marinated in:
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Chipotle Sauce
My dinner usually consists of a few things mixed together, mostly veggies and meat.
- Rump steak
- Simple salad
- Bok Choy
- Jelly lite
- Cream cheese
- Thickened cream
- Protein powder
- Almond meal
Check out these other keto friendly meals that have been created:
And that’s it. I’ve finally found a couple of meals that I aboslutely love. Plus, it makes dieting easier when you actually like what you’re eating. If you body and brain doesn’t think it’s on a diet, you will find it easier to acheive your goals. Find foods you like to eat and create something from it.
Just remember always read the backs of labels for nutritional values.
Disclaimer: This is a personal review of the ketogenic diet based on my experiences. I am in no way a health professional or qualified. Always, remember to research a diet before trying it.